Skin is the greatest barrier against external agents that can cause irritations and infections.
For this reason, forming good skincare habits is something essential.
A well hydrated and nourished skin not only will look better, younger and more elastic, but it will be a strong and healthy barrier, less prone to problems.
One of the last trends to prevent and combat skin diseases is Korean skincare.
The philosophy behind Korean skincare, which has become popular for its 10 steps, is that if you take care of yourself and dedicate yourself time, you will benefit both externally and internally.
The underlying principle of this oriental routine is that layering light-texture products is preferable to using just one multi-purpose product. The aim is to reveal skin’s natural brightness.
Let’s discover the steps in detail.
- Oil- based cleansing: usually done with an oil cleanser or a cleansing balm, it dissolves makeup and gently removes sebum, pollution and SPF. It has to be done in the morning and by night. In the morning, by insisting on the oiliest zone of the face, that is T-zone, it can prevent excess sebum production during the rest of the day.
- Foam Cleanser: unlike the first one, it is a water-based cleanser which removes what the oil cleanser can’t dissolve, namely sweat and dirt.
- Exfoliation: it needs to be done 2 times per week and it can be chemical or mechanical.
The chemical exfoliation is the one with Alfa or Beta hydroxy acids (AHA and BHA) and it’s perfect for every skin type based on its specific exigences. Mechanical exfoliation is simply the scrub, a product containing exfoliating particles (i.e. almond shells, rice powder etc.) For very sensitive skins, mechanical exfoliation is recommended only one/two times per month. Regular exfoliation will help the other skin care products absorb and work more efficiently.
- Toner: the ultimate prep product. Often underestimated, it shrinks pores, removes oil and restores the PH balance after cleansing. It also moisturizes gently. It can be applied with a cotton pad or by tapping delicately using the hands.
- Mask Sheet: usually sheet masks or hydrogel masks, they are soaked in high concentrated serums. The main function is to boost the hydration of the skin, nourish it and brighten it. For a better result, they can be used 1/2 times per week, in the morning or by night.
- Essence: at the heart of the Korean skincare routine, between toner and serums. They’re lightweight but packed with concentrated hydrating, anti-aging and complexion-enhancing ingredients.
- Serum, Ampoule, Emulsion: these treatments are packed with powerhouse ingredients, which perfect the skin and target specific skin concerns such as hyperpigmentation, acne, fine lines.
- Eye cream: formulated exclusively for the most delicate part of the face, with the thinnest skin. If used regularly, it can keep dark circles, puffiness and wrinkles away. It shall be applied with the pinky finger, tapping gently around the orbital bone, avoiding the water line.
- Cream: it seals all the products used before and creates a barrier against external agents like pollution. Korean moisturizers are lightweight, they plump up skin and smooth fine lines, giving a healthy and radiant look.
- Sunscreen: The easiest and most effective way to prevent premature aging and skin cancer. It is a shield for the skin and it has to be applied as the last step.
As said above, not all ten steps need to be done every day. The best products to start this routine are cleansers, toner and cream. Then, later, essence, masks and other products can be added. Thanks to lightweight and rapidly absorbed textures, it won’t take more than ten minutes of your time: a good compromise for the wonderful results that can be reached.
The only thing to do is to discover the best products for you and give this routine a try. It will be worth it!
Recommended products (click on the product picture to be redirected on the product page):
Forest Gargen Chamomile Cleansing Oil, gentle and soothing, cleanses deeply.
Jeju Sparkling Foam Cleanser, perfect for all skin types, with Jeju Island carbonic water. Removes dirt and impurities.
Green Derma Real Gauze Peeling Mask AHA, renovates the skin by eliminating dead cells.
Real Squeeze Aloe Vera Toner, with Aloe Vera, calming and moisturizing.
Real Nature Green Grape Hydrogel Mask, tightens pores and softens skin.
Herb Blending Essence, with 5 Active herb ingredients, anti-age effect for sensitive skin.
Ginseng Royal Silk Emulsion, with 99% pure gold, red Korean ginseng, royal jelly, silk amino acids that rejuvenate the skin.
Collagen Dream 70 Eye Cream, with açai berry and adenosine, for an antioxidant and anti-wrinkle effect.
Iceland Brightening Watery Cream, with glacial water extracted in Iceland and sand lily, anti skin spots and moisturizing.